Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition Review
After spending a great chunk of time as a Nintendo Swap unique, the definitive Edition of the 11th Dragon Quest recreation is now lastly making its technique to other platforms. When the game initially launched, this Review’s Dragon Quest emphasised the JRPG style at its most conventional core. Dragon Quest 11 S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition nonetheless stands tall with that repute, however the entire extra elements not solely make this recreation way more accessible to play, however improve the expertise significantly. Spending a complete bunch of time within the expansive world of Erdrea has by no means been better.
Affected person JRPG fans will find quite a bit to like on this launch in comparison with the unique launch of the game: A revamped reside orchestra soundtrack, battle velocity customization, photo mode, among other extra quality-of-life changes from the game’s debut in 2017. That is to not say Dragon Quest 11’s unique launch was missing, removed from it. Whether or not players are leaping in for the primary time, or replaying the expansive story to re-experience it in a brand new means, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition lives as much as its prolonged namesake admirably. This launch is well the superior version to play the 11th entry within the long-running JRPG franchise.
Read More: Pacer Review
Firstly, those that have performed the unique Dragon Quest 11 could also be wondering what’s new. Listed here are the entire new features/additions that include the Definitive Edition:
- 2D Mode: fans of SNES JRPGs can expertise Dragon Quest 11 solely in a conventional 2D, sprite-based artwork type, which will be toggled on and off at church buildings.
- Tickington Facet Quest: Alongside 2D Mode, players are launched to a personality named Tockle. This introduces players to the nostalgia-fueled Tickington aspect quest, which allows players to revisit earlier Dragon Quest settings in 16-bit glory. Related quests are transient, however gratifying, particularly for long-time fans who unknowingly wish to reminisce on the basic Dragon Quest games.
- Extra Character Tales: With out diving into spoiler territory, quite a few social gathering members now have extra standalone tales for players to find. What’s extra, these tales are built-in into the principle recreation, so there isn’t any obscure aspect quests to chase after the extra narrative content material.
- Totally Orchestrated Soundtrack: Gone is the MIDI-synthesized soundtrack by default, supplanted by the large reside orchestrated soundtrack. players can even swap again to the synthesized soundtrack within the recreation’s settings at any level, despite the fact that the reside orchestra is (arguably) vastly superior in each music.
- Japanese Voiceover Option: People who prefer the Japanese voice solid over the English voiceover can swap at any time within the recreation’s settings.
- Picture Mode: People who prefer the unique 3D graphics can relish within the surroundings with a brand new Picture Mode, with a typical suite of results and character manipulation to compose totally other photos to share.
- Adjustable Battle Speeds and Battle Camera: One essential addition is the flexibility to regulate battle speeds. players can determine from the usual “Normal” velocity, “Quick” velocity, and “Extremely-Quick” velocity. That is particularly big for each Normal playtime in addition to grinding in late-game. Moreover, players can set the battle’s Camera settings to player-controlled or static Camera angles.
- Assorted High quality-of-Life changes: Together with the entire aforementioned changes, a number of refined mechanical changes have been made as properly. Some highlights are the flexibility to make use of the Enjoyable Measurement Forge anyplace, computerized and skippable cutscenes, social gathering members seem within the recreation world when exploring, among many other changes.
All of those additions not solely increase the Dragon Quest 11 expertise, however improve the bottom expertise significantly. The revamped soundtrack offered by the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra instantly provides twice the pomp and circumstance to the game’s rating in comparison with the unique. Those that keep in mind Dragon Quest 8’s orchestral soundtrack shall be impressed right here. Plus the numerous mechanical and purposeful changes all through Dragon Quest 11 S add tons of comfort in a recreation that was conventional to the core.
Read More: Cloudpunk Review
The 2D Mode, specifically, deserves a particular shout, because it makes an attempt to enchantment to essentially the most hardcore Dragon Quest fans who’ve theoretically been enjoying since 1986. Not solely is there a whole arc of aspect quests in Tickington devoted to remembering and celebrating legacy Dragon Quest games, however the entirety of Dragon Quest 11 can be performed within the mode. Anybody who’s a fan of the 16-bit SNES period of JRPGs will love this characteristic immensely.
Nevertheless, the narrative and story of Dragon Quest 11 S are nonetheless as hyper-traditional as within the preliminary launch. Very like each other Dragon Quest, the anonymous protagonist is born a hero, and the Luminary is destined to combat an impending darkness. Dragon Quest 11 S makes no try to alter that framework, solely to iterate and rejoice the JRPG style in its purest kind.
Read More: Ghostrunner Review
There’s nothing inherently improper with that; Dragon Quest has all the time been about telling a hero’s journey unabashedly. However fans anticipating some type of revolutionary JRPG storytelling won’t find it in Dragon Quest 11 S, even within the extra character tales unique to this version. Dragon Quest 11 is filled with style tropes to the purpose of occasional absurdity, which may very well be powerful for brand spanking new players to get into. That being stated, if new players are keen to simply accept Dragon Quest 11’s old-school ambiance, this version is ideal for brand spanking new and present fans.
For one factor, the elevated accessibility of the gameplay expertise as a complete has improved tremendously. Growing the battle velocity is an ideal addition, particularly for individuals who are used to a extra fashionable JRPG fight tempo like Remaining Fantasy 7 Remake or Persona 5. players are in a position to tailor the velocity of fight on the fly, making typical gameplay and/or level-grinding within the endgame way more streamlined.
Read More: Spider-Man: Miles Morales PS5 Review
To not point out players now have entry to a set of quality-of-life changes that make the expertise extremely adaptable. Having the ability to use the Enjoyable Measurement Forge to craft weapons/armor anyplace is an enormous plus, particularly in longer dungeons. Additionally, the flexibility to govern and alter the battle Camera freely helps preserve players accountable for battle perspective always. Pair that with the numerous small mechanical changes all through the entire expertise, and Dragon Quest 11 S simply lives as much as the being the “Definitive Edition” of this entry.
In comparison with the Nintendo Swap version, the multiplatform launch is a welcome enhancement for Dragon Quest 11 S. Although the game ran surprisingly properly on the hand-held console, the expertise is even better on PS4 Professional. More often than not, Dragon Quest 11 S performs at a stable 60 frames per second on upscaled 4K, solely dipping often in closely populated areas. It’s price noting that plenty of the lighting changes and minor graphical concessions for Nintendo Swap do persist within the PS4 version, although stay unnoticeable except in contrast side-by-side.
Read More: Spider-Man: Miles Morales PS4 Review
Dragon Quest 11 nonetheless stays an important journey for each newcomers and hardened JRPG fans, however this version is well the easiest way to play this recreation. Solely new fans could have some hassle getting accustomed to the game’s ambiance, however the recreation is extremely rewarding for Anybody who can. All the enhancements make for a a lot improved gameplay expertise, and the 2D homages to basic Dragon Quest are an superior contact. That is simply the easiest way to play Dragon Quest 11.
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition releases on December 4, 2020, on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. The game is also available now on Nintendo Switch. Game Rant was provided a PS4 (PS4 Pro) code for the purposes of this review.